Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Presbyterian

These were taken on that beautiful Sunday. Feb 27 2013.




Entrance of First Presbyterian. 
Some nice tracery at the Springer Opera House!
Along with some buttresses, and all on a portico!








Does anyone think this look like coffee? Coffer. Coffee. Get it? Ha. No.



I'm going to be mad if that cornice are eaves.
Also, I'm not really sure if that counts as colonette. I TRIED.


I wish that pole wasn't there.



Now I'm thinking of the Hunchback of Notredam...maybe he lives there!?
Also, the pointy roof is a turret.





I though this counted as a buttress. I asked Amelia and she agreed. I took her word for it because she's 99.9% correct. Or did I ask Alyssa? Uh oh.
House off of eighth street...(you can see more buttresses on the pillars of this home.)
More buttresses! 1041 Second St.



Well bays are usually inside churches..but sadly my pictures did not contain any and I currently can not drive to anywhere with one at this moment...but I mean this kind of looks like one.


And another trumeau! That space in between the two entry ways! Okay you caught me it's First Presbyterian again! I'm sorry! I couldn't find anymore trumeaus in my pictures and I can't get anymore photos!

  








Awkward moment when I think I wasn't suppose to be in here, and I was anyways.
Also that is not a retable...I understand that, now. Just ignore it.

Okay, I thought this was a cloister. Although the covered path does not surround the courtyard...I don't know it this counts.



  • coffer (/ˈkôfər/)A sunken panel, often ornamental, in a vault or a ceiling.

  • squinch (skwinch)An architectural device used as a transition from a square to a polygonal or circular base for a dome. It may be composed of lintels, corbels, or arches
  • colonnette (kol-uh-net) A vertical, weight-carrying architectural member, circular in cross-section and consisting of a base (sometimes omitted), a shaft, and a capital.
  • Reliquary (rel-i-kwer-ee)A container for holding relics
  • finial ([fin-ee-uh l)A crowning ornament.
  • buttress  (ˈbətris)  A projecting support of stone or brick built against a wall.
  • trumeau  ([troo-moh)  A section of wall or a pillar between two openings, esp. a pillar dividing a large doorway in a church.

  • bay  (/bā/)   The space between two columns, or one unit in the nave arcade of a church; also the passageway in an arcuated gate.

  • choir (kwahyuh r) The space reserved for clergy and singers in the church, usually east of the transept but in some instances extending into the nave.

  • retable or altarpiece ([ri-tey-buh l )An architectural screen or wall above and behind an altar, usually containing painting,sculpture, carving, or other decorations. (I decided to give the definition anyways.)

  • aisle (/īl/; ahyl) The portion of a basilica flanking the nave and separated from it by a row of columns or piers.
  • transept (tran-sept) The part of a church with an axis that crosses the nave at a right angle.
  • nave(neyv) The central area of an ancient Roman basilica or of a church, demarcated from aisles by piers or columns.
  • tracery (trey-suh-ree) Ornamental stonework for holding stained glass in place, characteristic of Gothic cathedrals. In plate tracery, the glass fills only the “punched holes” in the heavy ornamental stonework. In bar tracery, the stained-glass windows fill almost the entire opening, and the stonework is unobtrusive.

  • corbeled vault (kawr-buh l vawlt)A vault formed by the piling of stone blocks in horizontal courses, cantilevered inward until the two walls meet in an arch.
  • cloister (/ˈkloistər/)A monastery courtyard, usually with covered walks or ambulatories along its sides.








No comments:

Post a Comment